Saturday, January 30, 2010

Art Colony Assignment - 2010

The galleries i attended during the Art Walk include; the SCA Project Gallery, The DA center for the Arts, LAM - Latino Art Museum, OBJCT Gallery, and (if it counts) The Glass House Record Store. my favorite gallery is definitely the SCA Project Gallery. Like most of the other galleries, this gallery does not have art work from just one person. It has art from many different artists who had donated some of their work. My favorite part about it is that some of the works displayed are for sale! I actually bought one and the person working there was very nice and grateful. Here's what i got:
It's called The Market by Carol Schiffelbein.

Another piece I found great was an etching by Rick Caughman, found in the DA:

What I noticed about the DA gallery is that most of the art works (in the back of the room) are re-done works of other artists, but in a different style. I dont know if anyone else noticed that, but i found that pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I was unable to talk to any artists because most of the galleries only had one or two people working it, not the artist themselves.
I believe "what's hot" was the DA gallery, mainly because it was in a place where people who pass by can come in and look around. Galleries such as SCA - Project Gallery and the LAM - Latino Art Museum were quite hidden and when found, were in "sketchy" area's such as on the basement floors of buildings. Even though they were quite hidden, they were certainly worth looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment