Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Museum Trip - The Getty Center

On Sunday, February7 2010, I (along with a couple of my friends) took a trip to the Getty Center. There we wandered about going from exhibit to exhibit. The tram ride to the actual center was pretty interesting and I was quite amazed with it. As we entered there were a few sculptures (bronze?) heading towards the main entrance.There were a number of amazing art works, venturing from sketches, to water colors, to photographs, to clay sculptures, to room decor. The gallery that caught my attention though, was the photo gallery. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures (pictures of pictures. i love the irony) of it, but it showed people (from the early 1900's) in their working clothes, such as a butcher, firefighter, fireplace cleaner, restaurant owners, etc. What was most interesting about this was that (I did not even realize it myself, my friend pointed it out) they would show a butcher from Chicago, and right next to that picture, a picture of a butcher from France or a butcher from London. Another interesting thing was that there was only two or three women out of about 40-50 pictures. Though given the time-line, I suppose its not as surprising as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment